Boy, 14, collapses and dies after falling in mud at assault course

A schoolboy collapsed and died on a mud assault course after falling into a muddy quagmire. The 14-year-old boy was believed to have stopped breathing after collapsing as he and other school pupils battled the muddy assault course in an end-of-term trip to an adventure centre in Surrey.

The tragedy was the second involving a 14-year-old schoolboy in the same county in the last four days, after a young boy jumped in front of a train on Monday.

The latest fatality happened at the Camelot Events adventure site in Beare Green, Surrey, where a party of teenage schoolchildren were taking part in an end of school term challenge to celebrate the end of the school year.

A woman working near the mud assault course said that after the boy collapsed and died, some of the other shocked children were taken to the centre’s clubhouse to be given warming cups of sweet hot chocolate. She said: ‘I saw about two police cars and three ambulances and it did look quite serious. ‘A few of the kids came over for hot chocolates and things, and I overheard that it was a boy who inhaled lots of mud. He’s done something wrong while on the course and inhaled lots of mud. ‘

They were just in a field across the road from us, I could see loads of cars dropping the kids off and picking them up. I believe they were a school party, a school event mud run,’ she added.

Emergency services rushed to the centre after the alarm was raised shorty before 1pm today and it was understood that other pupils were ushered away from the muddy assault course.

An air ambulance helicopter was scrambled to the scene along with road ambulances but there was nothing the crews could do to revive him and he was certified dead at the scene. The mud assault course is just a few hundred yards from Henfold Lakes and the area is known to be quite boggy.

The boy’s body was taken to the mortuary at the East Surrey Hospital in Redhill, Surrey, where a post mortem examination will be carried out later by a pathologist to ascertain the exact cause of the youngster’s death. An inquest was also expected to be carried out later by the Surrey coroner.

No comments:

Post a Comment